Wednesday 4 August 2010

Day Four

Haiku - a cop out?

Nah! I love them and I want to invite you all to write one too in the comments. Go on - you know you want to!

Also I was inspired by Rosy Retro's fabulous japanese stitch markers that she tweeted today.

As a reminder - this is how Wikipedia describes them and my offering below:

Haiku is a form of Japanese Poetry, consisting of 17 moras, in three phrases of 5, 7, and 5 moras respectively. Haiku typically contain a kigo (seasonal reference), and a kireji (cutting word). In Japanese, haiku are traditionally printed in a single vertical line, while haiku in English often appear in three lines, to parallel the three phrases of Japanese haiku. Previously called hokku, haiku was given its current name by the Japanese writer Masaoka Shiki at the end of the 19th century.


Wheat sheaves on Lammas

golden in the August sun

turn towards Winter.


I felt inspired by the time of year as a Haiku should be seasonal. Lammas is the first of August tradionally the first day of the harvest.

I'm looking forward to reading your Japanese offerings - don't be shy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love your opinion right here...